Fandom

Engineering

Greenhouse effect

651pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk0 Share
Greenhouse Effect.svg

A schematic representation of the exchanges of energy between outer space, the Earth's atmosphere, and the Earth surface. The ability of the atmosphere to capture and recycle energy emitted by the Earth surface is the defining characteristic of the greenhouse effect.

The Greenhouse Effect is a natural effect that keeps the earth warm. It is composed of greenhouse gases, such as methane, carbon dioxide, and nitrous oxide. It works by trapping the heat from the sun around the earth.

ExplainedEdit

In the absence of the greenhouse effect, the Earth's average surface temperature of 14 °C (57 °F) would be about -18 °C (–2.2 °F)

Basic mechanism=Edit

The Earth receives energy from the Sun in the form of radiation. The Earth receives about 30% of the incoming solar radiation. The remaining 70% is absorbed, warming the land, atmosphere and ocean.


This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). Smallwikipedialogo.png
Cayegory:Scientific observation

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.